Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Think I'm Gonna Eat Some Worms

I was talking to my dad on the phone the other day, telling him that Noah loves to run around and play outside. That particular day was absolutely beautiful and I had the backdoor open so my little 15-month outdoorsman could come and go as he pleased, barely able to contain his sheer excitement at the great wide open (aka: 30-foot square fenced in yard), and giggling with glee while clutching bark mulch in both fists.

My dad promptly said, "Pretty soon you're gonna have to get him wormed."

Huh?

He continued. "Yeah. Kids eat poop, and you guys have a dog. You all ate poop when you were little and you all got worms. We had to give you de-worming pills, and that was that."

Again. Huh? I told my neighbor about this and she looked at me like I had four heads. Granted they don't have a dog, but I'm sure their 3 kids have been around dogs. And even though we do have a dog, it's not like we don't poop-scoop the yard. Furthermore, my family grew up in rural Iowa playing on and around farms all day. If we slipped and fell, there was a good chance we landed in large piles of cow crap or clutters of random chicken droppings. It's not like we picked it up and ate it. Apparently we got it on our hands, and ended up biting our nails or rubbing our eyes or nose or whatever. Hence, the worms.

So is this normal? Do all your kids have worms and I just didn't realize it was part of the whole child-rearing process?

10 comments:

Sasha said...

I used to make sand and mud pies when I was little and "sample" them. I remember having to poo on plastic wrap that my mom had put over the toliet. I don't remember if I actually had worms, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Don't worry, Noah only has one head.

chichimama said...

Huh. I grew up on a farm, and never got worms. But, I suppose it COULD happen. I wouldn't worry about it unless it actually happens I suppose. The thought never crossed my mind, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Ok, nowhere in the "Kids: How to Manual" does it say anything about de-worming my daughter. I swear those little rugrats are full of surprises! Keep us updated on the de-worming thing. This could be the next big breakthrough on child-rearing :)

Rachel said...

Oh, this is just Dad being his "Let them cry, it's good for them" self. He loves dispensing old-school parenting advice. =)

So Sasha, did you get the worms about the time you contracted Scabies? And then spread them to ME?

Heather said...

I've heard of kids getting pin worms but I'm not sure where they come from. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Don't know nothin' about no worms!!! Sorry. I have missed your blogs!

Anonymous said...

You will definitely have to let me know how this one turns out - I have never heard of that before! I can totally picture your dad giving you de-wormer pills though and he sounds so calm about it. I may have 5 kids but having to de-worm any of them would pretty much put me over the edge!

Natalee said...

I remember my little sisters getting worms when we were little (and maybe i did too). But I am pretty sure it's because we played in a dirt pile, and they just crawl right up (yucky, i know)... but i am pretty sure it's not from eating poop.

You should google it and find out the symptoms,i don't remember what made my mom get us treated, but i do remember being able to see them squirming in the poop in the kid potty chair. EWWW!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jack - I'll bet Dad told you to give him a large spoonful of Castor Oil before bed every night? Or maybe to use leeches to suck out the blood when he bleeds?

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Hi, this is my first visit to your blog, very funny post. What I find particularly amusing is how matter of factly your dad said that. Hilarious. I never heard of that before, but it makes sense. Kids are not the best about washing their hands and they touch everything. Hopefully your dog doesn't have worms though. We got ours from the Humane Society and she had a huge issue with it. Makes me nauseaus now thinking about it...ewwww..